Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1. To make Guacamole: Cook spinach in pot of boiling water 3 minutes. Rinse under cold water, and drain, pressing down to remove excess moisture.
2. Purée spinach and onion to paste in food processor. Add avocado, lemon juice, and lime juice; purée until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Set aside 1/3 cup Guacamole to use as glue for decorations.
3. To make Serpent Swamps: Fold tortillas in half, and cut 4-inch ovals from each half. Spread 2 Tbs. Guacamole on each of 3 tortilla ovals, then top with 3 remaining tortilla ovals. Place tortilla sandwiches on serving plates, then “glue” Snapea Crisps around perimeter of each tortilla using reserved Guacamole.
4. Cut 1/2-inch circle from center of each Babybel cheese, and reserve. Cut remaining cheese rings in half to be used for bodies and tails of serpents. Cut sliver from ring halves used for tails (this helps them stand up on their own). Cut small wedges from cheese circles (from centers of Babybels) to make serpent heads.
5. Cut small dots from Cheddar cheese slices using drinking straw; adhere dots to bodies and tails of serpents with dabs of Guacamole.
6. Cut radish into small horn shapes and round eyes with sharp paring knife. Adhere to top of serpent head with dabs of Guacamole. Press sesame seeds into serpent mouth for fangs and over radish eyes for eyebrows. Place heads, bodies, and tails in centers of tortillas to look like serpents, using Guacamole to glue to tortilla, if necessary. Poke a few small holes in tortilla with skewer or tip of paring knife. Insert rosemary sprigs into holes, using small dabs of Guacamole as glue, if necessary.
- Serving Size 1/2 swamp
- Calories 233
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 10 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 352 mg
- Sugar Content 1 g