Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Layers of a fast fruit compote and coconut whipped cream make this traditional Irish dessert a fantastic warm weather finale when you want something light. The longer the coconut-cashew cream is left to chill, the thicker it gets, so make it a day or two ahead, if possible.
1. Grind cashews in food processor or blender until powdery. Add coconut milk, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Process 5 minutes, or until creamy, stopping once or twice to scrape down sides of bowl. Cover and chill overnight or up to 2 days.
2. Combine rhubarb, 3/4 cup sugar and lemon juice in medium saucepan. Simmer 10 minutes over medium heat, or until rhubarb begins to soften, stirring occasionally. Add strawberries and cook 3 to 4 minutes more, or until strawberries are soft, but not mushy. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 tsp. vanilla. Transfer to bowl, let cool to room temperature, then cover and chill.
3. Toast oats in small skillet over medium heat 3 minutes, or until light brown, stirring often. Remove from heat, and cool.
4. To serve: Spoon 1/4 cup compote in bottoms of 6 wine or parfait glasses. Top with 2 Tbs. coconut-cashew cream, and sprinkle with oats. Repeat layering to fill glasses. Serve immediately.
- Calories 396
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 24 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 15 g
- Sodium Content 17 mg
- Sugar Content 26 g