Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
We couldn’t believe these tender shortcakes were both low-calorie and vegan.
1. To make Filling: Combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice.
2. To make Shortcakes: Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Rub margarine into flour mixture with fingertips until mixture resembles cornmeal. Stir in yogurt until soft dough forms.
3. Pat dough into ½-inch-thick square on floured work surface. Cut 4 biscuits with 2½-inch round cutter. Place on prepared baking sheet. Make 4 more biscuits from dough scraps. Bake 9 to 11 minutes, or until tops are golden.
4. Split biscuits, and set bottoms on plates. Spoon 3 Tbs. strawberries over each. Top with 3 Tbs. soy whipped cream. Top with biscuit tops, remaining strawberries, and a swirl of whipped cream.
- Calories 180
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 253 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g