Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This salad gets a bright burst of flavor from fresh lime. Be sure to rinse the quinoa thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer to remove the bitter outer coating.
1. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in small pot; add quinoa and salt. Cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer over low heat 15 minutes, or until tender.
2. Fill separate saucepan with water, bring to a boil, and drop in diced onion for 30 seconds. Drain onion, then toss with vinegar in small bowl.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat; add corn, cumin, and cayenne; sauté 3 minutes.
4. Transfer corn to large bowl, and add quinoa, remaining 2 Tbs. oil, onion, jicama, lime juice, and zest. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Just before serving, add pumpkin seeds, parsley, and an extra drizzle of lime juice, if desired.
- Calories 339
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 304 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g