Sweet Walnut Soup
“Served hot or cold, this is one of the few Chinese desserts I clamored for as a child,” says Recipe Tester Fiona Kennedy…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
“Served hot or cold, this is one of the few Chinese desserts I clamored for as a child,” says Recipe Tester Fiona Kennedy
- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 3 Tbs. Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 15-oz. can light coconut milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts on baking sheet, and toast 15 minutes, or until fragrant. Cool.
2. Soak rice in 1 cup boiling water in bowl 2 hours. Drain. Purée rice, walnuts, and 4 cups water in blender until smooth. Transfer to saucepan, stir in sugar and salt, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Strain mixture through fine sieve into bowl. Discard solids. Stir in coconut milk. Garnish with persimmons, if using.
- Calories 299
- Carbohydrate Content 27 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 21 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 78 mg
- Sugar Content 20 g