Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Fun Fact: Bitter foods trigger your gut microbiota to tell your brain to release ghrelin, often referred to as the “hunger hormone,” which may be why Europeans drink bitters before meals. In addition to stimulating appetite, ghrelin also aids digestion by stimulating bile flow, gastric acid and other digestive secretions.
- Make vinaigrette: In a small saucepan, combine oil and shallot. Place over low heat and cook just until shallot begins to sizzle. Continue cooking for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and pour into a blender or small food processor. Add ½ cup kefir, parsley, chives, tarragon, vinegar, orange zest, mustard and honey. Purée until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and whisk in remaining kefir. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make salad: Cut top and bottom off oranges. Cutting from top to bottom, slice peel and white pith off oranges. Slice oranges crosswise into rounds. To a large serving bowl, add oranges, fennel, radicchio, endive, kale and olives; gently toss to combine.
- Add ¼ cup of the vinaigrette to bowl and gently toss to coat. Add more vinaigrette, 1 tbsp at a time, if desired and toss to coat. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, if desired. (Cover and refrigerate any leftover vinaigrette for another use.)
- Serving Size 1/4 of salad and 1 tbsp vinaigrette
- Calories 116
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 2 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 204 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 4 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 1 g