Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Imagine it’s a snowy and blustery day outside and you’ve finally trudged your way home. You open the door, walk into the kitchen, and a loved one hands you a bowl of this vegan minestrone soup, fragrant and hearty, packed with chickpeas for texture and protein. Sounds pretty nice. Let’s make that happen.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Jicama Tostada with Avocado, Guajillo, and Hibiscus
Pipian Mole Pumpkin Enchiladas
Vegan Minestrone with Chickpeas
1. Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 4 minutes, or until softened. Add carrots and celery, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, add thyme sprigs, and cook 2 minutes more.
2. Smash 1/2 cup chickpeas with back of a fork to form paste. Add smashed and whole chickpeas, broth, and 2 cups water to pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes. Add ditalini and basil, and cook 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Thin soup with broth or water (if necessary), and adjust seasoning. Remove thyme sprigs, and serve garnished with shredded basil and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese (if using).
- Calories 367
- Carbohydrate Content 63 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 12 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 588 mg
- Sugar Content 16 g