Vegan Sugar Cookies for Holiday Baking
A hint of peppermint in the frosting gives these classic treats a surprising twist
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A hint of peppermint in the frosting gives these classic treats a surprising twist—and makes them absolutely addictive.
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. egg replacer
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. vanilla soymilk
- 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
1. To make Cookies: Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat baking sheets with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper. Combine flour and baking powder in small bowl. Whisk egg replacer with 2 Tbs. water. Set aside.
2. Cream sugar and margarine in bowl with electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add egg replacer, and beat until smooth. Add flour mixture, and beat until soft dough forms.
3. Divide dough into 2 balls. Roll one ball to 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured work surface. Cut into desired shapes, and transfer to prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough ball and scraps.
4. Bake cookies 15 to 17 minutes, or until light brown around edges. Cool 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
5. To make Icing: Beat sugar, soymilk and peppermint extract in bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Add an additional tsp. soymilk if frosting is too thick. Spread cooled cookies with icing, and top with sprinkles. Repeat with remaining cookies. Let icing harden before serving or storing.
- Calories 108
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 60 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g