Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 3 medium carrots, rinsed and quartered
- 3 stalks celery, rinsed and quartered
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 6-inch piece kombu
- 1 bunch parsley stems and/or leaves
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme or herb of choice
In large pot, combine all ingredients. Add 8 cups cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover partially and simmer 45 minutes.
Pour stock through strainer into clean pot or storage container; discard solids. Even though vegetables have been washed, watch for grit that may have settled at bottom of pot. For a richer, more concentrated flavor, continue to simmer strained stock, uncovered, for about 30 minutes. Cool, cover and refrigerate 4 to 5 days, or freeze up to 2 months.
- Calories 29
- Carbohydrate Content 3 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 186 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g