Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The fine crumb and tender texture of these shortcakes will make them a year-round favorite. Try with sautéed apples in fall and winter, a rhubarb compote in spring. To make the dessert vegan, simply substitute vegan whipped topping for the whipped cream.
1. To make Shortcakes: Preheat oven to 425°F, and coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Stir in oil until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. In separate bowl, whisk together almond milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Stir almond milk mixture into flour mixture until soft dough forms.
3. Turn out dough onto floured work surface, and roll to 1-inch thickness. Cut out 8 Shortcakes with 21/2-inch round cutter. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, brush Shortcake tops with almond milk, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if using. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until Shortcakes are golden brown. Cool 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, to prepare Topping: Combine berries, confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and salt in bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.
5. To serve: Split Shortcakes in half, and place bottoms on serving plate. Top with 1/4 cup berry mixture and 2 Tbs. whipped cream. Place tops of Shortcakes slightly askew on top, and add remaining 1/4 cup berry mixture and remaining 2 Tbs. whipped cream.
- Calories 391
- Carbohydrate Content 64 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 636 mg
- Sugar Content 23 g