Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
“My soup was inspired by the seasonal ingredients available at the farmers’ market in Boulder, Colorado,” explains Amanda Mauser, a 14-year vegetarian and student at Johnson & Wales University in Denver, Colo. “I used smoked paprika to provide the smoky flavor of the pork found in traditional Portuguese kale soup.”
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 8 minutes, or until lightly caramelized, stirring often.
2. Add kale, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted. Stir in yam, paprika, curry powder, and bay leaf; cook 1 minute more, or until fragrant.
3. Add broth, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 30 minutes, or until kale and yam are tender. Purée 1 cup beans with 3/4 cup water in blender or food processor. Add purée and remaining beans to soup. Simmer 10 minutes, then stir in vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle each serving with paprika.
- Calories 165
- Carbohydrate Content 34 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2.5 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 543 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g