Got 27 Minutes? You Can Make This Vegan Coconut Curry Chili
This vegan chili recipe takes only 27 minutes from start to finish, which you can definitely justify
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This vegan chili recipe takes only 27 minutes from start to finish, which you can definitely justify, even if you’ve had a crazy day. Delivery takes more than 27 minutes, and the easy stirring and simmering called for here is just enough ‘cooking’ to make you feel like you accomplished something.
As you might expect, the recipe is full of beans and tomato puree, but there are some unusual ingredients that don’t turn up in most chili recipes. Coconut milk and red curry paste elevate the thick, satisfying sauce, and sweet potato and bulgur augment the texture.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Instant Pot Creamy Chickpea Curry
Red Lentil Soup with Curry and Coconut Milk
Mixed Bean Curry
Vegan Coconut Curry Chili
- 1 1/2 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Cumin)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur
- 1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed (2 cups)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans or BPA-free canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 cups jarred or boxed tomato purée (aka passata)
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste (TRY: Simply Organic Ground Black Pepper)
- In a 4-qt pot, add curry paste, cumin and a bit of broth. Mash mixture and stir until paste is no longer in lumps. Add remaining broth, bulgur, potato and bell pepper. Set over high heat and bring mixture to a boil. Cover tightly, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add beans, coconut milk and tomato purée to pot and stir. Cook, uncovered, for 7 minutes, until bulgur is tender and chili is thick. Stir in scallions and black pepper and serve.
- Serving Size 2 1/2 cups
- Calories 340
- Carbohydrate Content 65 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 16 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 412 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 0 g