Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This dish is assembled like enchiladas, but instead of corn tortillas, the fillings are rolled into crépes.
1. To make Crepas: Whisk together eggs, salt, and 1 cup water in bowl. Whisk in flour. Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Swirl 1/4 cup batter in skillet to coat bottom. Cook 2 to 3 minutes. Flip, and cook 1 minute more. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining batter, placed paper towel between each Crepa to prevent sticking. Set aside.
2. To make Filling: Combine 2 Tbs. oil, cumin, and oregano in bowl; add mushrooms, and toss to coat. Heat skillet over high heat. Cook mushrooms 7 to 10 minutes, or until soft. Cool, and slice each mushroom into 5 strips.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic, tomatoes, and spinach. Cooked 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
4. To make Sauce: melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, cheese, and cilantro. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce thickens, whisking constantly. Stir in nutmeg, season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. To assemble: Preheat oven to 350¯F. Ladle 1/4 cup Sauce in bottom or large glass baking dish. Spoon 2 Tbs. spinach mixture onto 1 Crepa. Top with 1 portobello strip, 1 roasted red pepper strip, and 2 Tbs. pepper Jack cheese. Roll up, and place seam-side-down in baking dish. Repeat with remaining Crepas and Filling, packing Crepas tightly together. Top with remaining sauce, and bake 15 minutes. Garnish with avocado and green onions.
- Calories 291
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 76 mg
- Fat Content 6 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 17 g
- Sodium Content 357 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g