Crispy Tofu with Pineapple-Ginger Chutney
This rich, savory vegan dish combines crispy tofu with a fragrant chutney packed with inflammation-fighting ingredients.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Serve with sautéed greens or steamed brown rice for a complete meal. Pressing out the water is the secret to keeping tofu crispy and firm without frying. Be sure to start with extra-firm tofu; handle it gently after pressing out the water, so it doesn’t crumble. You can spray with an olive oil spray, or pour olive oil into a mister and spritz on tofu before baking. The chutney recipe makes more than you’ll need here; it can be stored in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- 1 14-oz. package extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil (try Carlson Olive Your Heart Olive Oil in Natural)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 3-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs. curry powder
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups chopped pineapple (about 1 small pineapple)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Olive oil spray
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves coarsely chopped
- Wrap tofu in two layers of clean, lint-free kitchen towels (or paper towels). Set on cutting board, and cover with another cutting board or plate, then set a large cookbook or can on top. Let stand 30 minutes.
- In medium pan, heat oil, and sauté onion, ginger, red pepper, and jalapeño 3 minutes, until just softened. Add garlic and curry, and cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Add vinegar, brown sugar, and chopped pineapple. Simmer, uncovered, 20–25 minutes, until thickened.
- Preheat oven 375°F. Lightly spray or brush baking sheet with olive oil. Mix cornstarch with salt, pepper, and garlic powder in large shallow bowl. Unwrap tofu, and cut lengthwise into six slices. Cut each slice into four triangles. Dredge tofu in cornstarch, shaking off excess, and arrange on prepared sheet pan. Spray lightly with olive oil spray, and bake 30 minutes, flipping pieces halfway through.
- Remove from oven, and arrange on plates. Top with chutney, shower with cilantro, and serve.
- Calories 390
- Carbohydrate Content 44 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2.5 g
- Sodium Content 890 mg
- Sugar Content 26 g