Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
For this peach and halloumi salad, the salty halloumi perfectly accompanies fresh, sweet grilled peaches. This cheese-and-fruit combo is accompanied by a healthy serving of mixed greens. Thought to originate from the beautiful island of Cyprus, salty halloumi is a cheese used widely in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Usually made from a mix of goat’s milk and sheep’s milk, this semi-hard cheese has a soft firmness and extremely high melting point compared to other cheeses. These qualities make it ideal for grilling. If you’re not a dairy eater, Violife makes a great plant-based alternative available online and in many grocery stores. You can also make your own tofu ‘halloumi’.
Grilled Peach and Halloumi Salad with Basil Balsamic Vinaigrette
1. Preheat a greased grill or grill pan to medium-high.
2. In a small food processor, blend oil, basil, vinegar, honey, mustard, garlic, one-half of salt and pepper.
3. Drizzle peaches and halloumi with additional oil, as needed, and rub in lightly; season peaches with remaining one-half of salt. Grill, turning once, until peaches are tender and grill marks appear on fruit and cheese, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. Slice peaches into wedges and cheese into bite-size chunks.
4. In a large bowl, toss mixed greens with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat leaves, adding more if desired. Divide salad among plates. Top each with peaches and halloumi. Sprinkle with pistachios and serve any remaining dressing on the side.
- Serving Size 1/4 of recipe
- Calories 402
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 36 mg
- Fat Content 31 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 12 g
- Sodium Content 827 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 16 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g