Low-Cal Mac & Cheese
The secret to slimming down this classic recipe? Finding just the right proportions for the cream sauce and cheese. For extra flavor and crunch, try folding in chopped green onion and sprinkling breadcrumbs on top.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 10 oz. medium elbow macaroni (about 3 cups)
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter plus more for brushing pan
- 2 Tbs. unbleached white flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 1/4 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided (about 5 oz.)
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Cook macaroni according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
3. Melt 2 Tbs. butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, and cook 1 minute. Add milk, and cook 6 minutes, or until thickened, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat; stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over noodles, and combine.
5. Transfer to 9×13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake 45 minutes, or until top is crisp and beginning to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories 269
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 31 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 447 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g