Cauliflower ‘Mac’ and Cheese
Get all the creamy, cheesy goodness of mac and cheese — but swap the mac for cauliflower
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
To make your own breadcrumbs, tear firm, fresh bread into pieces and whirl in a food processor or blender until crumbs form.
- 1 large head cauliflower (1 1/2 lb.), cut into medium florets (8 cups)
- 2 Tbs. butter or ghee
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, and boil 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid, and set aside.
- Melt butter in same pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk, garlic, and reserved cooking liquid, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, and egg yolks until cheese is melted. Fold in cauliflower.
- Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread cauliflower mixture in baking dish, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes, or until casserole is hot and bubbly and breadcrumbs are crisp and brown.
- Calories 273
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 94 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 314 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g