Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A hearty polenta cake makes a great springtime mealand a fun twist on the classic peas-and-carrots combo. Serve this warm or at room temperature.
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Shave 2 carrots into thin strips using vegetable peeler. Trim green tops from 8 green onions (reserve white parts). Coat 9-inch round pan with nonstick cooking spray. Alternate carrot strips and onion greens side-by-side in single layer, forming striped pattern, in bottom of pan. Set aside.
2. Slice remaining green onions and reserved white parts. Bring 2 cups salted water to a boil in large pan. Add polenta, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, or until thick. Remove from heat, and stir in sliced onions, grated carrots, peas, Parmesan, oil, garlic and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Spread polenta mixture over carrots and onions in pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until just brown and crisp around edges. Cool 10 minutes.
4. To unmold, run small knife around edges of galette and invert onto platter (if any onion or carrot strips stick to pan, remove and rearrange on top of galette). Slice into wedges, and serve.
- Calories 153
- Carbohydrate Content 24 g
- Cholesterol Content 2 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 251 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g