Jason Johnstone-Yellin created this vegan version of potato pancakes after his Jewish wife kept saying "they're not as good as my mom's." Now he's working on a vegan cookbook: 'Cooking with Tamara's Husband.'
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 2 large potatoes peeled, grated and squeezed dry (about 1 ½ lbs.)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 ¼ cups)
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ cup canola oil, divided, for frying
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Scoop ½ cup potato mixture into skillet and spread into ⅛-inch thick patty. Repeat. Fry patties 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Cook remaining latkes in batches of 2, adding 1 Tbs. oil to skillet each time.
- To drain, transfer latkes to wire rack on top of baking sheet lined with newspaper. Place latkes on pan in oven to keep warm. Serve with vegan sour cream or applesauce.
- Calories 241
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 372 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g