Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This is a great way to serve turnips. Jean, my French husband, who claims his mother made the world’s best gratiné, happily ate a second helping.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 11×14 baking dish. Place one-third potato slices on bottom. Top with one-third turnip slices and half of onion. Add salt and pepper to taste, and sprinkle with one-third cheese.
2. Repeat layer once, then top with remaining potatoes, turnips, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Pour milk over gratin, distributing evenly. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until casserole is bubbly, vegetables are tender and top is browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Calories 390
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 45 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 150 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g