Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This is a traditional recipe from the Garfagnana region of Tuscany. The cake works well as a first or a main course with vegetables or a salad. For a decorative flourish, garnish with extra Parmesan.
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter 8-inch baking dish or springform pan with 2 tablespoons softened butter.
To make Pie Crust:
2. Combine flour and salt in bowl. Cut in butter and work into flour. Add egg and mix dough until it just holds together. Press dough into springform pan, bottom crust first, then sides.
To make Filling:
3. Combine farro, cheeses, eggs, nutmeg, parsley, marjoram, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
4. Bake for 40 minutes or until set. Cool to lukewarm, cut into wedges and serve.
Enhance this dish by serving it with a bottle of chardonnay.
- Calories 480
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 200 mg
- Fat Content 25 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content 14 g
- Sodium Content 190 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g