Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
“I came up with this recipe to save a mistake,” explains Paul Bulman. “I had asked my wife to begin preparing a wheat berry pilaf and accidentally directed her to use a container with steel-cut oats instead of the wheat berries. Not wanting to throw away the oatmeal, I came up with this recipe the following morning. Today, it’s one of my wife’s favorite meals.”
1. Bring broth to a simmer in large saucepan. Add oats, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 25 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Crack eggs into pan, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cook 2 minutes, carefully flip eggs, and cook 2 minutes more (longer for harder yolks).
3. Scoop 1/2 cup oatmeal in center of each of 4 plates to create small bed. Top each oatmeal bed with 1/4 cup ricotta. Place 1 egg atop oatmeal alongside ricotta. Drizzle with sriracha sauce, and sprinkle with mesclun salad mix.
- Calories 317
- Carbohydrate Content 33 g
- Cholesterol Content 206 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 19 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 413 mg
- Sugar Content 4 g