These Mushroom Pita Sandwiches Have All the Umami
The filling gets a savory flavor boost from mushroom powder
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
You’ve probably seen Chaga lattes and other concoctions out at your local cafe. There’s a lot of hype around the bark-fungus-derived powder and its superfood benefits. But here’s an idea you probably haven’t tried yet: putting Chaga mushroom powder… on mushrooms. It may seem like gilding the lilly – or just redundant – but there’s a method to the mushroom madness at play in these shiitake mushroom pita sandwiches. Adding the powder gives the protein-packed filling of these pita sandwiches an extra depth of savory, umami flavor.
Chaga has been used in teas and tinctures for centuries. Research suggests the inonuts obliquus may be able to boost immune function, reduce inflammation, and even help prevent cancer. Not bad for a funny-looking lump on a log.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Vegetable Pho with Mushroom Broth
Mushroom-Rosemary Pot Roast
Wild Mushroom Ravioli in Sage and Brown Butter Sauce
Shiitake Mushroom Pita Sandwiches
>From Better Nutrition
- 2 Tbs. organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. organic unsalted butter
- 12 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 medium shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, sliced into thin vertical strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tsp. mushroom powder (e.g., Host Defense Chaga powder)
- 1 15-oz. can organic white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 handful shredded fresh basil
- 7 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 3 pita breads, cut in half to make 6 pockets
- Heat olive oil and butter in large skillet over medium heat until butter melts. Add mushrooms, shallots, bell pepper, garlic, and mushroom powder. Cook until shallots and peppers soften, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Gently stir in beans, and cook until beans warm, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in basil and feta. Divide among pita pockets and serve.