Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Rebecca Guffey designed this hearty, whole-wheat tortilla dish as a healthy twist on a Mexican-style treat. By baking the tortillas, she achieves a crunchy texture without having to fry them. Guffey and her husband especially love the garlic kick.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place tortillas on baking sheet, rub with garlic clove, and brush with 1/2 Tbs. olive oil.
3. Bake 7 to 9 minutes, or until crisp and lightly golden. Set 2 tortillas aside.
4. Heat remaining 1/2 Tbs. olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 2 minutes. Add spinach, and sauté 2 more minutes, or until it begins to wilt. Remove from heat.
5. Spread 2 tortillas with 1/2 spinach mixture, 1/2 beans, 1/2 tomatoes and 3/4 cup cheese. Place 2 more tortillas on top, followed by remaining spinach, beans, tomatoes and 3/4 cup cheese. Return to oven, and bake 7 to 9 minutes, or until heated through.
6. Transfer contents to plate, and top with remaining 2 tortillas. Cut into quarters, and sprinkle with remaining cheese, salsa and cilantro. Serve hot.
- Calories 474
- Carbohydrate Content 56 g
- Cholesterol Content 30 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 13 g
- Protein Content 31 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 964 mg
- Sugar Content 9 g