Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This variation of Greek spanakopita calls for a single layer of puff pastry rather than two of phyllo. Be sure to squeeze the spinach dry.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 9×13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
2. Chop well-squeezed spinach coarsely, and put into mixing bowl. Press tofu between layers of paper towels to remove liquid. Crumble into bowl. Add onion, garlic, currants, feta cheese, if using, lemon juice, 3 Tbs. olive oil, salt, oregano and pepper. Toss well.
3. Spread mixture over breadcrumbs. Arrange red pepper strips on top. Roll out puff pastry to fit top of pan. Brush with remaining oil.
4. Bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes. Serve warm.
- Calories 530
- Carbohydrate Content 42 g
- Cholesterol Content 15 mg
- Fat Content 34 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 7 g
- Sodium Content 810 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g