Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Growing up in Los Angeles breakfast burritos and chilaquiles reigned supreme in my mornings. Breakfast tacos, however, were slimmer pickings back then. But these days, the Texas-style breakfast taco has broken through and become a favorite. Typically made with eggs, I’ve developed a vegan breakfast taco recipe I love – and, just like any taco, there are endless combinations and customizations you can try.
Feel free to mix and match your options when building your tacos. What I do here consists of tofu scramble, black beans, and purple potatoes. Any type of potato works great, but it being peak season for purple potatoes I decided to use these – and they look amazing! When it comes to breakfast, I always opt for black beans instead of pinto. There is no real explanation here, I just like black beans with my breakfast, but you can use your favorite. This recipe calls for canned black beans instead of ones made from scratch. I will always recommend preparing from scratch, but I do understand that some mornings you wake up impatiently ready to eat, so I’ll give this one a pass. And the way these beans are prepped, one can be fooled that they were made from scratch. Although you can use the tortilla of your choosing, this dish usually is executed using a Sonoran tortilla, otherwise known as a flour tortilla. They’re ofter and stretchier than corn tortillas and bring a subtle wheat flavor. (Note: be sure to check ingredients if buying your flour tortillas or make your own; many are made with lard, butter, or other animal-derived ingredients.)
The base of this recipe is the tofu scramble. It can be made ahead of time and stored in your refrigerator, so it’s ready when you are. If you want an even faster breakfast, try cooking some packaged soyrizo and mix it in with the pre-cooked scramble! And don’t forget to pair these with your favorite salsas. Again, I understand making salsa from scratch may sound like a lot in the morning; that can absolutely be made ahead of time, too. Or, if you’re lucky enough to live near a Mexican market, they will always have freshly-made options.
Enjoy and good morning!
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Andy Zambrano’s Vegan Mac and Cheese with Soy Chorizo
Vegan Breakfast Tacos with Tofu Scramble
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Start by cutting the potatoes to bite size and putting them in a pot of boiling water. Boil until the potatoes are just about fork tender, pull, and drain. Place the potatoes on a sheet tray and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until potatoes have crisped up. Take out and set aside.
- Drain the packaged tofu and crumble with your hands into a bowl. Add all of the tofu scramble ingredients and mix well then set aside.
- In a small pot, add the teaspoon of oil and minced garlic in a medium heat. Once the garlic is fragrant add a can of black beans and vinegar. Cook until it begins to simmer then mash the beans with a bean/potato masher and set aside.
- In a saucepan add a layer of oil and along with the tofu scramble mix. Cook until it’s heated through.
- Heat up the tortillas and begin to build you taco. Spread the bean-mash in a layer on the tortilla and fill with potatoes and scramble. Enjoy with your favorite salsa.