Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
At any big family Thanksgiving or holiday dinner, you’re likely to have at least one eater who just “doesn’t like vegetables.” Now, obviously, we think that’s a very strange stance – and see it more as an opportunity to find what kind or preparation of vegetables that person (of whatever age they may be) actually agrees with. A good place to start? This vegan creamed spinach made with tofu.
Even if you’re surrounded by spinach lovers, you’ll want to keep this recipe in rotation. It’s quick to make (like, less than 20 minutes, start to finish) and super easy. Also, if you’re more about sitting on the couch to watch the game than gathering for a formal dinner, it does double-duty as a hearty dip. Grab some crunchy pita points and dig in there
Vegan Creamed Spinach with Tofu
- Heat the frozen spinach according to package instructions.
- Press it firmly through a colander to remove as much moisture as you can. Set the spinach aside.
- Place the tofu, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic and onion powder, and lemon juice in a blender and blend till smooth.
- Heat the oil over medium in a large skillet. Add the shallots and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often, or until they’re gently browning. Add the spinach and the blended tofu mixture.
- Heat, stirring as you go, until the ingredients are mixed and warm through. Taste and add extra salt and/or freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve hot.