When the Moon Hits Your Eye Like a Vegan Moon Pie, That’s This Recipe
A nostalgic treat gets a plant-based spin
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
We have fond memories of the idea of moon pies from the New England summers of our youth, but the actual pies themselves were too often gross, with gritty filling, yucky cake bits, and, in all likelihood, an alarming list of animal ingredients and preservatives. So now we’ve given the treat a plant-based makeover you can feel good about. You may be able to find plant-based marshmallow fluff for sale, but we typically make it ourselves when prepping this vegan moon pie recipe. Try these instructions provided by our favorite vegan marshmallow brand, Dandies.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Plant-Based Peppermint Chocolate Mousse
Flourless Chocolate Cake
Vegan Matzo Ball Soup
Vegan Mini Moon Pie Recipe
- 1/4 cup unsalted plant butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbs JUST Egg
- 1/4 cup almond milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dairy-free bittersweet chocolate chips, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup marshmallow fluff (see note)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Cream together sugar and butter with whisk until smooth and sugar begins to dissolve. Whisk in egg, milk, and vanilla extract. Add melted chocolate and cocoa, and mix until smooth. Stir in flour with wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Do not overmix.
2. Transfer batter to resealable plastic bag or pastry bag fitted with small round tip. Trim ½-inch tip from corner of resealable plastic bag, if using, with scissors. Squeeze 40 1-inch dollops of batter onto baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes, or until tops look dry and smooth. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet; transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
3. To assemble: Spoon ½ tsp. marshmallow cream on bottoms of 20 cookies. Top with remaining cookies.
- Calories 101
- Carbohydrate Content 14 g
- Cholesterol Content 17 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 9 mg
- Sugar Content 10 g