Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Northern Italian soups are often filled out with rice rather than pasta. Toasted breadcrumbs and pine nuts add an almost cheese-like flavor—without the cheese.
1. Heat 2 Tbs. oil in pot over medium heat. Add rice, and sauté 6 minutes, or until toasted, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and rosemary, and cook 2 minutes more. Add broth, cabbage, and bay leaf; cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.
2. Pulse bread and pine nuts in food processor until small crumbs form.
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumb mixture, and sauté 5 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are crisp and toasted.
4. Add beans to soup, and cook 5 minutes more, or until rice is tender. Remove bay leaf, and stir in breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 268
- Carbohydrate Content 35 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 299 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g