Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Trust us, no one will miss the flour (or the meat!) in this gluten-free indulgence.
1. To make Biscuits: Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together rice flour, chickpea flour, potato starch, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry blender or two knives until no large pieces remain. Stir in buttermilk.
3. Pat dough into flat 1-inch-thick disk on rice flour–dusted work surface. Cut dough into 16 rounds with 2-inch cutter, and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden-brown on top.
4. To make Gravy: Pulse chickpeas, paprika, poultry seasoning, onion powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne in food processor 8 times, or until crumbly.
5. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add chickpea mixture, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until fragrant and crisp. Transfer to plate.
6. Add butter to skillet, and melt over medium heat. Whisk in potato starch and chickpea flour, and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly. Stir in chickpea mixture. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
7. To serve: Place 2 Biscuits on each plate. Ladle 1/4 cup Gravy over top.
- Calories 397
- Carbohydrate Content 54 g
- Cholesterol Content 33 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 721 mg
- Sugar Content 12 g