Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
1. To make Saffron-Lime Ice: Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl, and pour into shallow baking pan. Freeze 3 to 4 hours, or until frozen solid.
2. To make Avocado, Tomatillo and Cucumber Soup: Heat large nonstick sauté pan or skillet over high heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeño. Dry-roast ingredients, stirring frequently, until half garlic, onions and jalapeño are charred. Remove from pan, and cool to room temperature. When cool enough to handle, seed jalapeño.
3. Place avocados in mixing bowl with cooled onion, garlic and jalapeño. Add tomatillos, cucumber, cilantro, oregano, nutmeg, pepper, lime juice, miso and water. Blend ingredients in batches until smooth, combining puréed ingredients in large bowl. Add salt and cayenne to taste. Refrigerate until well chilled.
4. To serve, ladle soup into 6 cocktail or similar glasses. Sprinkle one-sixth toasted almonds over top of each serving. Using tines of fork, scrape 2 teaspoons saffron-lime ice crystals from pan over each serving.
- Calories 230
- Carbohydrate Content 18 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 10 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 220 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g