Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
A welcome twist on plain doughnuts, these little treats are made with spice cake, topped with maple glaze and cinnamon sugar, or your favorite vegan sprinkles, if desired. (One to try: Let’s Do…Organic Sprinklez.)
To make Doughnuts:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat doughnut pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in large bowl.
3. Combine soymilk, margarine, and vinegar in saucepan, and heat over low heat until margarine is melted. Cool. Whisk egg replacer with 2 Tbs. water in small bowl; whisk this mixture and vanilla extract into soymilk mixture. Stir soymilk mixture into flour mixture.
4. Fill each doughnut mold half full with batter. Bake 12 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in doughnut comes out clean. Unmold doughnuts on wire rack to cool, and repeat with remaining batter.
To make Maple Glaze:
5. Combine soymilk, maple syrup, sugar, and salt in saucepan, and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and cool 5 to 10 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in vanilla extract.
To make Cinnamon Sugar:
6. Whisk together sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.
7. Dip each doughnut into Maple Glaze and sprinkle with Cinnamon Sugar. Let glaze set before serving.
- Calories 121
- Carbohydrate Content 23 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 0.5 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 159 mg
- Sugar Content 15 g