Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Amanda Chojnacky, of Old Orcutt, Calif., has a long family tradition of grilling artichokes: “My grandpa was from Idaho, and when he came to California, he had no idea what an artichoke was. He treated it like a potato and fried it. It didn’t work, so we had to come up with something that did. This was it!”
1. To make Dipping Sauce: combine all ingredients in bowl. Set aside.
2. To make Artichokes: Rub cut sides of artichokes with lemon, and scrape out chokes (the fuzzy stuff) with spoon. Steam in steamer with lemon 20 to 30 minutes, or until stem is soft. Drain artichokes, and let dry.
3. Combine salt, garlic, pepper, onion powder, parsley, and paprika in small bowl. Set aside.
4. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium. Brush artichokes with margarine, and sprinkle with spice mixture. Place artichokes on grill, and close cover. Grill 10 to 15 minutes, or until brown and crispy, turning frequently. Serve with Dipping Sauce.
- Calories 131
- Carbohydrate Content 9 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 755 mg
- Sugar Content 0.5 g