Very Good Old Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
The addition of Roquefort cheeses injects a bold accent in this otherwise-classic recipe
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 1/2 cups medium-sized elbow macaroni
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup freshly grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated vegetarian Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled Roquefort cheese
- 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease 1 1/2-quart ovenproof baking dish.
- Bring pot of lightly salted water to a boil over medium heat, and cook macaroni according to package directions until al dente. Remove from heat, drain and place in baking dish.
- Melt butter in saucepan, and whisk in flour. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly, and cook for 6 to 7 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of each cheese in small bowl, and set aside. Add remaining cheese to white sauce, and stir until smooth. If needed, reheat cheeses over low heat to melt, and season to taste. Pour sauce over macaroni in casserole, and stir to mix well. Add breadcrumbs to remaining cheese, and sprinkle over top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until hot, bubbly and lightly browned on top. Serve hot from oven.
Wine Suggestions: The addition of Roquefort cheese to this classic dish changes the wine match from a full-bodied Chardonnay to a medium-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon. Try Sailor Mountain Ruby Cabernet from South Africa.
- Calories 300
- Carbohydrate Content 28 g
- Cholesterol Content 45 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 500 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g