Pasta with Cilantro Pesto and Red Peppers
For a change of pace, try this pasta dish with a Southwestern sensibility. You can also use the cilantro pesto as a condiment for grilled vegetables or thin it with yogurt and serve with baked tortilla crisps.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 4 1/2 oz. can mild green chilies
- 12 oz. dried orecchiette, gnocchi or medium shell pasta
- 1 cup grated Pepper Jack cheese (3 oz.)
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, make pesto: In small dry skillet, toast almonds over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until light golden and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes.Transfer to small bowl and let cool.
- In food processor, combine almonds, cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, salt and pepper; process until finely chopped. With motor running, add 2 Tbs. oil and lime juice through the feed tube, processing until mixture forms paste and stopping to scrape down sides of work bowl as necessary. Transfer mixture to small bowl.
- Add pasta to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until just tender, 8 to 12 minutes. While pasta is cooking, in large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add green chilies and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Just before pasta is cooked, scoop out 13 cup of pasta cooking water and add to pesto, stirring well. Drain pasta and transfer to large, warm bowl.Add onion mixture and cheese; toss to coat well. Serve immediately.
- Calories 580
- Carbohydrate Content 77 g
- Cholesterol Content 25 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 550 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g