Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This creamy-zesty dip has more than 40 cloves of garlic in it. Yet, roasting the garlic softens the cloves to a creamy, slightly sweet pulp that doesn’t overwhelm other flavors or give off that typical garlicky aroma.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut tops from garlic heads to reveal tips of garlic cloves. Place garlic heads on large sheet of foil, and drizzle with 1 Tbs. olive oil. Wrap garlic heads tightly in foil, and bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until garlic heads feel soft through foil. Cool in foil.
2. Purée chickpeas 1 minute in food processor, or until finely chopped. Add lemon juice, ¼ cup olive oil, tahini, and ½ cup water. Blend chickpea mixture 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth.
3. Squeeze roasted garlic pulp from each clove into chickpea mixture in bowl of food processor. Pulse hummus several times to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Spread in thin layer on large plate, and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with whole-wheat pita wedges.
- Calories 168
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8.5 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 184 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g