Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Tangy plum filling wrapped in a flavorful dough, this rustic plum tart is a stunning dessert. The tart feeds a crowd, so if leftovers remain, store in airtight containers and refrigerate for up to three days – and it’s just as delicious in the morning with coffee.
The crust is spectacular; toasty walnuts do double duty adding rich flavor and creating a sturdy, crisp foundation for the thick fruit filling. Walnut oil, used in place of traditional butter or shortening, helps the crust hold its shape while boosting the nutty flavor. A smart sprinkle of chopped, toasted walnuts mixed with flour creates a moisture barrier between the dough and the fruit, ensuring a crisp, leakproof bottom. Not a walnut fan? Substitute hazelnut oil in the crust and chopped hazelnuts for the filling.
We love this tart for the summer-to-fall transition; the last flush of perfect plums is at the market and gets warmed up by cozy baking spices like allspice and clove.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Vegan Rustic Plum Tart with Walnut Crust
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Make crust: In medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt and optional ground cloves or allspice. Using fork, slowly stir oil into flour until mixture is crumbly. Stir in 3 tablespoons of ice water, adding more ice water as needed until dough forms. Press dough into a disk.
- Roll dough between sheets of wax or parchment paper into rough circle, 13 to 14 inches in diameter and approximately 1⁄16 inch thick, patching where necessary. Remove top sheet and invert dough onto prepared baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: Spread nuts on small baking sheet and toast in oven until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Let cool. In a small food processor, combine walnuts,1⁄4 cup of sugar, flour, salt, and ground cloves or allspice, if using. Process until finely ground.
- Quarter plums, discarding pits. Spread flour-nut mixture over pastry, leaving 1 1⁄2-inch border around edge. Arrange plums, resting on their sides, in concentric circles, over nut mixture. Fold pastry border over plums. Sprinkle remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar over plums and crust edges.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake until crust is golden and juices are bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes. Using long spatula, loosen warm tart from baking sheet and slide onto a wire rack. Let cool.
- Heat jelly in small saucepan over low heat until melted, then brush over plums before serving.
- Calories 275
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 10 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 109 mg
- Sugar Content 20 g