Saigon-Style Eggplant over Rice Vermicelli
Thin rice vermicelli noodles are piled atop a saucy eggplant stir-fry so they retain their tender, fluffy texture and don’t get weighed down by the sauce. Serve this dish with lime wedges and your favorite hot sauce.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 3 medium Japanese eggplants, trimmed and sliced (7 cups)
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbs. Bragg Liquid Aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 1/2 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 6 oz. dried rice vermicelli noodles
- 8 Bibb lettuce leaves, torn
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup torn mint leaves
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, crushed
1 Heat oil in wok or large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplants, and sauté 20 to 25 minutes, or until soft and golden.
2 Meanwhile, whisk together lime juice, Liquid Aminos, brown sugar, and garlic until sugar dissolves. Stir into eggplant, cover, and reduce heat to low.
3 Soak or cook vermicelli according to package directions. Drain.
4 Divide lettuce and carrots among four large bowls. Top with noodles and eggplant. Garnish with mint and peanuts.
- Serving Size 2 cups
- Calories 323
- Carbohydrate Content 56 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0.5 g
- Sodium Content 762 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g