Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Separating Brussels sprouts leaves from the heads, then lightly sautéing the leaves in a little oil eliminates any risk of overcooking the sprouts.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Toast hazelnuts 5 to 6 minutes, or until light brown, shaking pan occasionally. Set aside.
2. Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add quinoa and salt, if desired; cover; and cook 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, peel leaves off Brussels sprouts halves, and discard inner core.
4. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté Brussels sprouts leaves 5 minutes. Add 3 Tbs. water, cover, and cook 1 minute more, or until leaves are tender. Stir in garlic. Toss with quinoa; hazelnuts; feta, if using; and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Calories 448
- Carbohydrate Content 53 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 22 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 30 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g