Savory Bread Pudding with Cauliflower and Kale
What recipe can be made-ahead to feed an early breakfast crowd, serve as a great savory main at lunch, and play well as a side dish for a fancy dinner? Savory bread pudding can do it all.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Some people call this a strata. Some people call it a casserole. Some people call it Maurice. But what we call this gangster of cauliflower and kale love is a savory bread pudding – and you should probably add this super-flexible recipe to your all-day rotation. This works beautifully for basically any meal of the day; equally great to feed a brunch crowd or settle in with at dinner.
If cooked just as we have it here, you’re getting a fluffy, savory bake with bread, egg, cheese, cauliflower, and leafy purple kale. But you can also start switching around the parts in this savory bread pudding however you wish. Prefer egg replacer or non-dairy cream, milk, and cheese? Go for it! Want to swap in other balanced or sautéed vegetables, such as broccoli, mushrooms, and spinach? Don’t you worry, baby.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
The Easiest-Ever Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Masala Cauliflower Soup
Vegan Mashed Cauliflower and Potatoes
Cauliflower and Leafy Purple Kale Savory Bread Pudding
From Better Nutrition
- 1 bunch frilly purple kale, washed, stems removed
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 stalks celery
- 4 Tablespoons yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 lb stale sourdough or sturdy whole-grain artisan bread
- 1 cup dairy or plant-based Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 cup vegetarian dairy or plant-based Parmesan-style cheese, grated
- 4 eggs or 12 Tbs JUST Egg
- 2 cups dairy or plant milk
- 1 tsp "poultry seasoning" (note: poultry seasoning is the term for a spice blend, it does not contain poultry ingredients)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup dairy or plant-based heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter or oil 12-inch rectangular casserole dish.Bring pot of water to a boil.
- Chop kale into large pieces and place in salted water. Cook 2–3 minutes, until just tender. Drain, squeezing out excess water.
- Break cauliflower into florets. Bring pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower to pot and cook 3–4 minutes until barely tender.
- Heat olive oil in skillet. Add celery and onions, and sauté until soft. Add garlic, and cook about 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Place chopped kale, cauliflower, celery, onion, and garlic in large bowl. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Add bread and cheeses to vegetables in bowl. Toss to mix and place in greased casserole dish.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Pour over bread and vegetables. Let sit 10 minutes to allow bread to absorb liquid. Bake 35 minutes until top is lightly browned. Pour cream over top, and bake 5 minutes more.