Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Bryant Terry is a chef and cookbook author – the man behind some of our favorite titles, like Afro-Vegan and Vegan Soul Kitchen. He is also the chef-in-residence at San Francisco’s Museum of the African Diaspora. In 2021, he launched 4 Color Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House dedicated to collaborating with BIPOC creators; the label published Black Food, edited by Terry, in October. He shared the following recipe for smothered seitan medallions in mixed mushroom gravy with Vegetarian Times in 2009.
Smothered Seitan Medallions in Mixed Mushroom Gravy
“This recipe is clearly inspired by smothered pork chops,” says Bryant Terry.
1. Coat seitan pieces with arrowroot.
2. Heat ½ cup oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Fry half of seitan in oil 3 minutes per side.
3. Transfer to paper-towel-lined plate. Discard oil, wipe out skillet, and repeat with ½ cup oil and remaining seitan. Discard oil.
4. Add remaining 2 Tbs. oil and onion to hot skillet. Increase heat to high, and sauté 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and sauté 10 minutes more. Add garlic, and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in Mixed Mushroom Gravy, “Shroom Stock, and seitan. Cover, and simmer 30 minutes. Add cabbage, and cook 3 minutes. Stir in jalapeños, green onions, and parsley.
- Calories 287
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 22 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 302 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g