Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
At Ubuntu Restaurant and Yoga Sudio in Napa, Calif., one of chef Jeremy Fox’s favorite challenges as a classically trained chef is coming up with recipes that steer clear of dairy and eggs so that 80 percent of the menu is vegan-friendly. Here, a light salsa replaces the mayonnaise or drawn butter usually served with steamed artichokes.
1. To make Steamed Artichokes: Bring large pot of water and lemon juice to a boil. Add artichokes, and boil 30 to 40 minutes, or until an outer leaf pulls away easily. Drain, and cool 10 minutes.
2. To make Celery Salsa Verde: Peel outer layers of each celery stalk with vegetable peeler to remove strings, then dice stalks. Combine oil, diced celery, celery leaves, parsley, capers, shallot, and garlic in bowl.
3. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve with artichokes.
- Calories 194
- Carbohydrate Content 17 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 316 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g