Spread Some Love with This Vegan, Nut-Free Notella Spread
Make breakfast sweet with this homemade spread
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Remember when you were little and a piece of toast with a certain big-name hazelnut spread was the absolute pinnacle? Well, here we are a few realizations about sugar, dairy, mass market food product additives, and maybe even a nut allergy, later – but that doesn’t mean we have to give up the pleasure entirely. We’re making breakfast sweet again with this Notella spread. It’s totally plant-based and nut-free so everyone can enjoy.
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
Dairy-Free Hazelnut Chocolate Milk
Chocolate Banana Bread
Plant-Based Peppermint Chocolate Mousse
Vegan and Nut-Free Notella Spread
- 2 cups raw sunflower seeds
- 8 oz. vegan chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1 Tbs. sugar, optional
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Spread sunflower seeds on baking sheet. Roast 7 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant. Cool 10 minutes, or until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, melt together chocolate and coconut oil in double boiler or microwave on low power. Set aside.
- Blend warm sunflower seeds, sugar (if using), and salt in a high-speed blender until a thick, smooth paste forms. Add chocolate mixture and vanilla, and blend until smooth. Transfer to jars, and cool. Store at room temperature.
- Serving Size per 1-tbs serving
- Calories 94
- Carbohydrate Content 6 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 16 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g