Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Thin strands of soaked arame lend flavor and texture to this light and healthful main dish.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place arame in bowl, and cover with cold water. Soak 10 minutes, or until soft. Drain, and set aside.
2. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, leek, and carrots; sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Stir in arame; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Remove from heat, and spread mixture on plate to cool.
3. Purée roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, tofu, and sherry in blender or food processor 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth, adding 1 or 2 Tbs. water, if necessary, to thin. Transfer to saucepan.
4. Place 2 sheets phyllo dough on work surface, and brush with olive oil. Stack 2 more phyllo sheets on top, and brush with oil. Top with 2 more phyllo sheets. Spread half of mushroom mixture onto phyllo stack, leaving 1/2-inch border on each long side and covering one-third of phyllo stack. Fold long edges of phyllo over filling; roll into log lengthwise, enclosing filling completely. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and filling.
5. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Place strudels on baking sheet, and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Meanwhile, warm red pepper sauce.
6. To serve: Spoon 1/4 cup red pepper sauce on each plate. Cut each strudel into thirds, and place one piece of strudel in center of sauce. Garnish with rosemary, if using.
- Calories 265
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 399 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g