Bake These Cranberry Muffins for Cozy Mornings
The Thanksgiving morning breakfast of our dreams
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
We’ve used whole cranberries in this all-purpose cranberry muffin recipe, but any combination of fresh or dried fruit and nuts will do. Try substituting chopped frozen dark cherries or diced apple or pear in place of the cranberries.
More Holiday Recipes and Ideas from Vegetarian Times
Get more of what you love from VT. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, and sign up for our email newsletters.
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. butter or nonhydrogenated margarine, softened
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds, divided
1. Preheat oven to 400°F for muffins, 350°F for loaf or miniloaves. Coat 12-cup muffin tin, 9- x 5-inch loaf pan, or 3 6- x 3-inch miniloaf pans with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Beat butter, oil, and sugar in large mixing bowl with electric mixer until creamy and pale. Add egg, orange zest, and vanilla, and beat until smooth. Alternately fold in flour mixture and orange juice, making 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 additions of orange juice. Stir in cranberries and 1/2 cup almonds.
3. Scoop batter into prepared pan(s). Smooth top(s), and sprinkle with remaining almonds. Bake muffins 18 to 22 minutes, large loaf 50 to 60 minutes, or miniloaves 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Loosen edges, and turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Calories 173
- Carbohydrate Content 30 g
- Cholesterol Content 23 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1.5 g
- Sodium Content 190 mg
- Sugar Content 13 g