Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Vegetarians in the Windy City flock to the Chicago Diner for burgers that have a truly meaty taste. We added a step—baking them in the oven—and grilled them on foil so they would get a smoky taste without sticking to the grill. Serve with Red Pepper Aioli.
1. Bring 4 cups water, celery, onion, soy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper to a boil in pot over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in oats, mushrooms, and flour, and cook 5 minutes more. Transfer to bowl, and chill.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Shape mixture into 8 patties, and bake on prepared baking sheet 15 minutes. Flip, and bake 10 minutes more. Cool.
3. Heat grill to medium-high. Place foil on grill, and coat with cooking spray. Grill burgers on foil 7 minutes per side.
- Calories 175
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 289 mg
- Sugar Content 3 g