This Chilled Zucchini Soup Proves the Humble Courgette Has a Sexy Side
It's time to give the zucchini a moment to shine
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Zucchini is not exactly summer’s sexiest vegetable, struggling to compete with tomatoes at the height of their juicy glory. But it’s time to give the zucchini a moment to shine. This zucchini soup takes the humble green squash to an unexpectedly luxurious place – using little more than the vegetable’s own textural greatness to do so. There’s no cream or diary; this vegan soup gets all its smoothness direct from the zucchini.
To give this mild, chilled summer soup an aromatic blast, I turn to lemon juice and a handful of soft herbs, like basil, mint, and dill. Croutons and chopped herbs are a welcome garnish, but all this velvety soup really needs to shine is a few drips of your best olive oil. Be sure to serve this zucchini soup with plenty of good bread for dipping.
Maybe zucchini was sexy all along?
More Related Recipes to Try Next:
This Polenta-Crust Skillet Pizza Is Your Gluten-Free BFF
Linguine with Grill-Roasted Tomatoes and Zucchini Pesto
Cajun Scrambled Chickpeas with Zucchini
Chilled Zucchini Soup for Summer
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 - 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup mixed soft herbs (basil, mint, dill, cilantro, and parsley would all be welcome), chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and
garlic and sweat until translucent. Add zucchini and and continue cooking until the
zucchini is soft, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add enough vegetable stock to cover the zucchini, and continue cooking for another five minutes. Add the herbs and lemon juice and remove from heat.
3. Working in batches if necessary, add the zucchini and stock to a blender, and blend thoroughly until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Chill over an ice bath or in the refrigerator until completely cool. Serve with bread.