Coconut Curried Chickpeas, Cauliflower and Spinach
Coconut milk is great for those who don’t eat dairyits mouth-feel is surprisingly close to cream. For this recipe, forget the reduced-fat version and treat yourself to the real thingit’s luscious and flavorful! Serve this curry with toasted pita or chapati bread to mop up the savory sauce. For an…
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Coconut milk is great for those who don’t eat dairyits mouth-feel is surprisingly close to cream. For this recipe, forget the reduced-fat version and treat yourself to the real thingit’s luscious and flavorful! Serve this curry with toasted pita or chapati bread to mop up the savory sauce. For an even heartier meal, sprinkle each serving with cashews.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 1/2 cups stemmed, coarsely chopped spinach
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 6 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbs. Homemade Curry Powder or good-quality commercial brand
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 3 cups cut green cabbage (2-inch pieces)
- 2 Tbs. vegetable broth or water
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas or rinsed canned chickpeas
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
In wok, bring 2 1/2 quarts lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add cauliflower and cook 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Set wok over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add garlic, onion and 1 teaspoon salt and stir-fry 1 minute. Add curry powder and stir-fry 1 minute (curry will absorb most of oil). Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil, then carrots, cabbage and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and stir-fry 2 minutes.
Gradually drizzle broth around outer perimeter of vegetables (not in the center.) Cover and cook 2 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and coconut milk and cook, uncovered, 2 1/2 minutes.
Add spinach, reserved cauliflower and cilantro and cook, stirring, just until spinach begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Serve hot.
- Calories 341
- Carbohydrate Content 46 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content 6 g
- Sodium Content 796 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g