Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Make the tempeh patties ahead of timethe heat from the grilled vegetables and bread will warm them.
1. To make Patties: Steam tempeh 10 minutes. Blend with mushrooms in food processor until finely chopped.
2. Warm 2 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 minutes, or until softened. Add fennel seed, garlic, paprika, marjoram, thyme and sage, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in soy sauce, tempeh mixture and 1/4 cup water. Simmer 10 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water, and cook 10 minutes more, or until water is absorbed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cool. Shape into 12 patties. Chill 1 hour, or overnight.
3. To make Sandwiches: Combine oil, vinegar, garlic, parsley and salt in 9×13-inch baking dish. Add zucchini, eggplants and red onion, toss well, and let marinate 30 minutes.
4. Warm remaining 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook patties 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned.
5. Prepare charcoal grill or preheat gas grill to medium-high. Grill baguette slices 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Rub with garlic and spread with mustard.
6. Grill vegetables 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, or until browned and tender.
7. To serve: Place one patty on each grilled bread slice. Top each with grilled vegetables and arugula.
- Calories 355
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 14 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 770 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g