Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
In this vegan variation on a French classic, chunks of young jackfruit soak up the savory flavors of a wine-based sauce. Serve over rice, pasta, or potatoes.
1. Heat 1 Tbs. margarine and oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add jackfruit, mushrooms, and leek; sauté 4 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms and leek have softened. Remove vegetables from pot, and set aside.
2. Melt remaining 1 Tbs. margarine in same Dutch oven. Add onion, carrots, and garlic; sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Sprinkle with flour, and stir to coat vegetables with flour.
3. Pour in broth and wine; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Add pearl onions, bay leaf, and mushroom mixture to Dutch oven. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and simmer 1 hour, or until vegetables are tender.
- Calories 198
- Carbohydrate Content 21 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 286 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g